National monuments on the Brouwersgracht

Via one of the most beautiful bridges you come from the Jordaan on the Brouwersgracht. For example, the Oranje bridge is such a striking bridge over the Brouwersgracht. The Brouwersgracht is one of the most famous canals of Amsterdam. The buildings on the canal were largely built during the Golden Age. The Brouwersgracht is located in the north-western part of the old center of Amsterdam and connects the Singel with the Singelgracht.

Between the Prinsengracht and the Singelgracht the Brouwersgracht forms the northern border of the Jordaan. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries there were many (beer) breweries here and so the name of the canal was created. The supply of raw materials such as barley were stored in the impressive warehouses. These warehouses were later converted as residential houses but many famous Dutch people live.

National Monuments

133 National monuments are on the canal, these are about a hundred meters long Brouwersgracht. The beautiful buildings mainly come from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

A few examples of the typical building style at the Brouwersgracht

Brouwersgracht 174A

The Wapen van Amsterdam with the three Andreas crosses is very much in evidence of this imposing and striking triple warehouse. This warehouse was built between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. As a result of a large fire that raged in 1894, the warehouse was lowered on one floor according to the archives of the municipality.

Brouwersgracht 20

The typical neck façade is not the only thing that stands out from the building. It is especially the size compared to the surrounding buildings. The house was built in the eighteenth century and always remained a residence as a destination. In addition, this building can be recognized by the text on the façade: by De Tyd the Spruyt becomes a Tree.

The typical neck façade is not the only thing that stands out from the building. It is especially the size compared to the surrounding buildings. The house was built in the eighteenth century and always remained a residence as a destination. In addition, this building can be recognized by the text on the façade: by De Tyd the Spruyt becomes a Tree.

Brouwersgracht 188-196

The characteristic warehouses at this address all have their own name; King David, the David, the Green Falcon, the Gray Falcon and the apple. These beautiful warehouses with their beautiful shutters were built around 1636. The shutters had the function to limit the incidence of light in order to preserve the stored spices in a predetermined indoor climate. In addition, the shutters could easily be opened to bring in the raw materials and other goods easily.

De Ooievaar

Since 1782 is the last Amsterdam distillery of zevetien types of gin and sixty kinds of liqueurs on the corner of the Brouwersgracht and the Driehoekstraat. The Stork is still a beloved address for lovers of spirits.

Amsterdam Jordaan

Author Amsterdam Jordaan

More posts by Amsterdam Jordaan

Leave a Reply